Halloween Pumpkin RecipesPumpkins are everywhere at Halloween. You can find the larger ones carved into spooky-looking Jack-o-Lanterns, while the smaller varieties can be used to make delicious homemade recipes such as pumpkin soup, bread and pie.
#1 Pumpkin Soup RecipeThere are different types of pumpkin soup to choose from. Some are thick while others are thin, some are very rich and sweet, boasting ingredients like cream and sugar, while others include onions, garlic and more savory flavors. As for the garnish or toppings, choose from roasted pumpkin seeds, sour cream or crème fraiche, croutons, or anything else you wish to add.
This recipe makes 3 to 4 servings and leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Alternatively you can make a nice big batch of this and freeze it for up to 3 months. If you are making this out of season or you can't get fresh pumpkins, you can use 2 1/4 cups of pumpkin puree. You will need to 100% pure kind, not pumpkin pie filling.
· How To Roast Pumpkin SeedsOne of the best toppings for this soup is roasted pumpkin seeds, so keep the seeds when you are preparing the pumpkin if you wish to roast your own. Rinse the seeds then put them in a pot of salted water and simmer then for 10 minutes. Drain them, then toss with olive oil and sprinkle over some salt. Now bake them at 400 degrees F for 5 to 10 minutes or until they are done. The exact timing depends on their size. They are done when they are lightly browned. Larger pumpkin seeds might take up to 20 minutes. So now you know how to garnish the dish, it's time for the pumpkin soup recipe!
· What You Will Need2 sugar pumpkins. Olive oil, as needed. 3 minced garlic cloves. 2 diced shallots. 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock. 1 cup whole milk. 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey. 1/4 teaspoon salt. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Roasted pumpkin seeds and/or fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional).
· How To Make It:First preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the tops off the pumpkins, then cut them in half and remove the strings and seeds using a spoon. If you want to roast the seeds, keep them, else you can discard them now. Brush some olive oil over the pumpkin flesh then bake face-down on the prepared baking sheet for 45 minutes or until tender.
Let the pumpkin cool, then discard the skin. Meanwhile you can sauté the garlic and shallots in a tablespoon of oil for a few minutes or until lightly browned. Don't let them burn. Now add the pumpkin, stock, milk, maple syrup or honey, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon, and stir well to mix. Bring the soup to a simmer.
Now you're ready to puree the soup, and you can either do this in a conventional blender or using a handheld stick blender. After blending, cook the soup for a further 10 minutes to mellow out the flavors some more, then taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately, garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds and/or fresh cilantro if liked.
#2 Pumpkin Bread RecipeThe smell is wonderful and the taste of pumpkin bread is simply delicious. Making pumpkin bread is not hard, as a matter of fact it is easy as pie, no pun intended. With a little bit stirring mixing and baking your house will have a beautiful smell of nice autumn flavor that comes out from the pumpkin bread.
Many people use canned pumpkin for making this bread because it does provide excellent results. However, you can use a sugar pumpkin or butternut squash if you want a more caramelized and roasted flavor. Steaming is also good, but you may miss some of the flavor from roasting. The pumpkin bread recipe works well for all kinds of pumpkins and mixes. Additionally, you can glaze the pumpkin bread to give it a festive look, plus enhance its taste with powdered sugar.
Before you start baking preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In one kitchen bowl add 2 cups of cooked pumpkin or 16 oz. canned pumpkin. 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (not self-rising). 1 cup vegetable oil. 2 teaspoons salt. 2 teaspoon cinnamon. 1 teaspoon baking soda. 1/2 teaspoon allspice. 1/2 teaspoon cloves. 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix for about 2 minutes. In another bowl, add 4 eggs. 2/3 cups of water. 1 teaspoon butter. And 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix for about 2 minutes. After each bowl is completely mixed, Combine the ingredients together into one bowl.
Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well incorporated and stocked together, and pour the mixture into a standard size non-stick loaf pan. If you do not have a non-stick pan then you can use any kind of pan but make sure you coat it with flour and butter. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 to 45 minuets. Insert a knife of toothpick to check whether the bread is well baked. Take the pumpkin bread out of the oven and let it cool off for about fifteen minutes. Then the pumpkin bread is ready to be serve.
#3 Pumpkin Pie RecipeSome of the best recipes are the simplest ones. Here we are making an easy pumpkin pie, using canned pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, spices, eggs and a pie crust. If you prefer to use fresh pumpkin, buy some small ones (those are sweeter!) and roast or boil the flesh until tender, then proceed with the recipe.
We are using cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger for the spices, and these add a warm, earthy flavor to the pie. This serves 4 to 6 people, and any leftovers will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator. Although you can buy pumpkin pie from the store, nothing beats a homemade pie. Your kitchen will smell amazing while this is baking, and everyone will love the charm and flavor of this homemade dessert.
This is a nice sweet pie which the kids will love and so will the grownups. The spices, pumpkin and sweetened condensed milk combine perfectly with the eggs, resulting in a great flavor and perfect texture. This is a great treat for Halloween or whenever you crave some tasty, sweet pumpkin pie.
· What You Need:14 oz sweetened condensed milk. 15 oz canned pumpkin. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. 2 large eggs. 1/2 teaspoon salt. 9-inch unbaked pie crust.
· How To Make It:First preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. While it is warming up, you can whisk together the milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, eggs and salt. Now you can pour this mixture into the crust. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees F.
Bake the pumpkin pie for a further 35 minutes or until a knife inserted an inch away from the crust comes out clean. Let the pie cool on a wire tray, then either serve as it is or add some Halloween candies on top (think plastic spiders, gummy worms or other gruesome decorations). This is nice with whipped cream.